3: Aprio Internship Program
Vault score: 9.319
Academic level: Programs for all levels of college students
Duration: 6-12 weeks
Aprio, a CPA-led advisory firm based in Atlanta, is one of the 50 largest CPA firms in the U.S. It specializes in manufacturing and distribution, nonprofit and education, professional services, real estate and construction, technology and blockchain, and retail, franchise, and hospitality advising. Vault also ranked this internship #5 in Best Internships for Quality of Life and #12 in 100 Best Internships.
About the internship: Aprio interns have the opportunity to work directly with real-world clients from industry leaders to startups They develop practical skills in a professional workplace. Aprio has programs available for all levels of academic experience including its Headstart program for freshmen and sophomores, a summer leadership conference for sophomores and juniors, and internships for juniors, seniors and fifth-year students.
2: Frank Rimerman & Co. Summer Internship
Vault score: 9.649
Academic level: College juniors and seniors
Duration: 6-12 weeks
Frank, Rimerman & Co. LLP provides accounting services to industry leaders. Tax planning services comprise 62% of its more than $115 million in revenues The firm has offices in several Californian cities including San Jose, San Francisco, Palo Alto, and St. Helena. Vault also ranked this internship #2 in Best Internships for Diversity and #2 in Best Internships for Networking Opportunities.
About the internship: While the program is based in the firm’s headquarter Palo Alto office, some interns will spend time in San Francisco and San Jose. It is designed to provide practical experience with rotations through various firm departments including: Accounting and CFO Advisory, Tax, SOX/SOC compliance, technology solutions/systems implementation, Business Valuation, and Assurance and Advisory.
- Working on audit engagements and developing an understanding of audit processes
- Attending client meetings and engagement planning meetings
- Assisting with business risk consulting and compliance projects
- Preparing income tax returns (individual, fiduciary, partnership, not-for-profit and corporate)
- Processing business transactions into accounting records and appropriate financial statements
- Learning standardized office and accounting-related software
1: The H&CO Academy
Vault score: 9.654
Academic level: All college students, recent graduates and graduate students
Duration: 16 weeks
The H&CO specializes in tax and advisory services to corporations and investors around the world. Vault also ranked this internship #1 in Best Internships for Diversity with Respect to Women and #2 in its 100 Best Internships.
About the internship: H&CO Academy, the firm’s internship program, offers hands-on accounting experience while working in teams with senior accountants, CPAs, and tax advisors. Interns will be assigned real clients from a myriad of industries. Skills in Excel, accounting software, and Spanish are preferred. H&CO Academy positions can lead to full-time employment with the firm.
Opportunities are located in Coral Gables or Ft. Lauderdale, Fla,, or in offices around the U.S.
To create its top 10 internship lists, Firsthand surveyed more than 11,000 current and former interns about their programs. It evaluated those programs on a 10-point scale in a number of categories including:
- Quality of Life (company culture, hours, work-life balance, flexibility)
- Compensation & Benefits (pay structure, subsidized expenses, technology resources, office space, perks)
- Interview Process (application process, requirements, number of interviews)
- Career Development (including four separate ratings for training and mentoring, quality of assignments, real-life experience, networking opportunities)
- Full-time Employment Prospects (opportunity to obtain a full-time job with this organization)
- Diversity (including four separate ratings for diversity with respect to women, racial & ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and other underrepresented groups)
- Relative weights were assigned based on what interns reported valuing the most in their programs, and overall scores were calculated with the following formula: 30 percent career development, 20 percent employment prospects, 20 percent quality of life, 20 percent compensation, 5 percent diversity, and 5 percent interview process. 2022 rankings were based on interviews conducted in summer 2021.
You can see the full internship rankings here.