Kyle F. Rice
“High-achieving and adventure-seeking finance major, sports enthusiast, campus leader, and aspiring investment banker.”
Fun fact about yourself: I am a direct descendant of William Brewster, who arrived on the Mayflower in 1620 and became the leader of Plymouth Colony.
Hometown: Wyckoff, NJ
High School: Ramapo Regional High School (Franklin Lakes, NJ)
Favorite Business Course: Corporate Finance
Extracurricular Activities, Community Work and Leadership Roles During College:
Awards and Honors
- Awarded TCNJ Chairman of the Board Four-Year Academic Scholarship
- Selected to and successfully completed TCNJ Honors Program with major in Finance
- Named to Dean’s List every semester with Cumulative GPA of 4.00
- Selected as the recipient of 2020 CFA Exam Scholarship Award
- Named 2018-2019-2020 TCNJ Scholar for Edward J. Bambach ’50 School of Business Scholarship
- Inducted into New Jersey Collegiate Business Administration Association Honor Society (top 1% of undergraduate business students in NJ)
- Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (Top 7.5%), the nation’s oldest, most selective, and most prestigious all-discipline honor society
- Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society (top 10%), the highest academic honor a business student can receive
- Inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa National Honor Society for academic excellence and outstanding leadership.
- Inducted into Golden Key International Honour Society
- Successfully completed PwC “Elevate” Leadership Program and received an internship
- First place in Johnson & Johnson business case competition in February 2018.
- First place in PwC “Challenge” business case competition in October 2017.
Extracurriculars and Leadership Roles During College
- Research Assistant – TCNJ School of Business/Department of Finance for Dr. Seung Hee Choi, Finance Chair & Professor. Developed Excel Competency Testing and Training Program at TCNJ School of Business. Graded student tests and advised on Excel best practices and techniques for financial modeling and investment analysis (Aug. 2019 to Present)
- Treasurer and Executive Board Member of Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society (Apr. 2019 – Present)
- Vice President of Alumni Relations for Delta Sigma Pi – Professional business fraternity (Apr. 2017-2019)
- Vice President of TCNJ Club Baseball Organization – Manage financial budget, fundraising, communications, and operations. As the team’s third baseman, I received the Silver Slugger Award and named Offensive MVP. (Apr. 2017 – 2019)
- TCNJ Business CEO Peer Mentor – Leader and advisor enabling fellow students to achieve their potential. (Apr. 2017 – Present)
- Volunteer TCNJ Community Engagement Program Leader – Helped mentally-challenged adults in Trenton, NJ area improve their mathematical, linguistic, and engineering skills (Sep. 2016 – Present)
- Volunteer Economic Empowerment Leader – Volunteered 120 hours providing financial management advice and economic empowerment to working poor people in Newark, Paterson, and Jersey City in New Jersey.
- Volunteer Poverty Alleviation Leader – volunteered 100 hours sourcing food donations, maintaining inventory, and providing meals to needy families in northern New Jersey.
Where have you interned during your college career?
J.P. Morgan Investment Bank – New York, NY (June 2019 – August 2019)
2019 Summer Investment Banking Analyst
- Provided credit risk assessment and financial valuation analysis for M&A and LBO deals for Investment Bank clients in Technology, Media, and Telecommunications (TMT) industries and for investment and non-investment grade syndicated loans, restructurings, derivatives, and foreign exchange. Completed annual credit reviews, quarterly financial updates, and valuations of TMT corporate clients. Presented recommendations to the TMT team.
- Received and accepted full-time return offer at J.P. Morgan beginning in July 2020.
Tiffany & Co. – New York, NY (June 2018 – August 2018)
2018 Summer Intern – Global Financial Planning & Analysis
- Completed deep-dive analysis of the luxury retail industry and Tiffany’s competitors, including investments in the retail distribution network, strategic re-design of flagship stores, diamond mines, and strategic acquisitions. Presented findings and recommendations to senior management. I also developed an incremental revenue forecast for new stores globally and helped implement and test Hyperion financial management software and Essbase.
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law – New York, NY (May 2017- August 2017)
2017 Summer Intern – Finance & Operations
- Working for the CFO/Controller, provided accounting, budgeting, audit, finance, investment, and special projects for Finance & Operations. Led annual financial budgeting process across organization. Prepared financial statements, analyzed performance, and developed/implemented improvements to cash management policies/procedures. Assisted in investment management of $3.6 billion NYU Endowment Fund.
Where will you be working after graduation?
J.P. Morgan Investment Bank New York, NY
Investment Banking Credit Analyst
What company do you admire the most? I admire JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM) the most. For over 200 years, JPM continues to provide innovative financial solutions for consumers, small businesses, corporations, and governments that shape the future and strengthen both the clients and the communities it serves. With a mission to empower more people to contribute toward a thriving economy and share in the rewards of such growth, JPM believes that enhancing equality and fostering widely-shared prosperity requires collaboration of all stakeholders – business, government, nonprofit, and other civic organizations – especially in the cities and metropolitan areas that drive economic growth. The firm, with operations in more than 100 countries, takes a comprehensive approach to increasing economic opportunity, using its world-class platform, unrivaled global scale, intelligent advice, talent, and resources to make investments and create partnerships that make the world a better place.
Who is your favorite professor? My favorite professor is Dr. Seung Hee Choi, the Chair of the TCNJ Finance Department. Her course in Corporate Finance was extremely challenging and gave me a strong foundation to do well in interviews with the leading New York City-based investment banks. The rigor of performing a team-based complete financial analysis of AT&T Corp, including its industry and competitors, served me well in landing a Summer Analyst position with J.P. Morgan Investment Bank in the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications (TMT) Group. Additionally, Professor Choi’s passion, commitment to excellence, willingness to offer guidance, and caring about each student’s success have had a very positive influence on my development. I have recently served as a Research Assistant for Professor Choi and this has also been a rewarding experience, as we have implemented an Excel Proficiency Program to help business students with their financial modeling capabilities.
What did you enjoy most about your business school? What I enjoy most about the TCNJ School of Business is the exceptional high quality of the students. Most TCNJ business students are extremely intelligent, very motivated to be successful, and good people who are friendly. There is a diverse, engaging, and intellectual vibe that the TCNJ School of Business enjoys. The internship and full-time employment opportunities for TCNJ business students, especially Finance and Accounting majors, are outstanding. TCNJ School of Business has emerged over time as a top school in the country and has developed a strong reputation with leading companies in the New York City and Philadelphia areas. As the Vice President of Alumni Relations with the Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity, I have observed a strong and growing TCNJ alumni network that seeks to place graduates in their firms.
What advice would you give to a student looking to major in a business-related field? Just Do It! Business is incredibly dynamic and exciting, as it is both an art and a science. Be ready to work hard and push yourself outside your comfort zone. It is important that you know how to operate as a member of a team because many assignments have a team structure. Also, it is critical that you are able to effectively communicate orally and in writing, as there are many presentations and supporting papers required. For those students contemplating a major in Finance or Accounting, make sure you develop strong Excel and PowerPoint skills because these will be used in most of your courses, as well as in the workplace for internships and full-time positions.
Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of? The achievement I am most proud of is receiving a full-time return offer to J.P. Morgan Investment Bank in New York City after completing my internship this past summer. This opportunity represents the culmination of all my hard work and commitment to excellence throughout college and on the job. Investment Banking – at a prestigious firm such as J.P. Morgan in New York City – puts your skills and abilities to the test. The competition is fierce as many viable candidates are going for a limited number of positions. The environment is exciting and intense, fueling my competitive juices and motivating me to perform at the highest level while I work on a deal for a client.
Which classmate do you most admire? The classmate I most admire is Devin Errico because he is very innovative and technologically savvy, as demonstrated by the fact that he founded Blockwiza, a fully functional website dedicated to providing curated information regarding cryptocurrencies. Devin is a TCNJ Accounting major, President of Delta Sigma Pi Professional Business Fraternity, and an incoming Technology Advisory Consultant for Deloitte.
Who would you most want to thank for your success? The person I most want to thank for my success is my father, who has inspired me to develop a strong work ethic; believe in myself and maintain a positive attitude while facing adversity and difficult challenges; strive for excellence but not perfection in all my endeavors; always keep my sense of humor and laugh often; and be thankful for all the good things in my life, especially my family and friends.
What are the top two items on your professional bucket list? The top two items on my professional bucket list are (1) Get an MBA from an M7 Business School and (2) Attain all levels of the CFA.
What are your hobbies? My hobbies include playing and watching sports with friends, listening to music, working out in the gym, and hiking near the ocean or in the mountains. I am an avid fan of the New York Yankees, the New York Giants, and the Brooklyn Nets.
What made Kyle such an invaluable addition to the Class of 2020?
“As a student, he doesn’t wait for opportunities, instead he finds opportunities. As a leader, he doesn’t simply take pride in the role. Instead, he promotes critical thinking, strategic planning, and thorough due diligence. As a citizen, he doesn’t just enjoy his impressive accomplishment alone. Instead, he gives back to the community to achieve even more. He started as a freshman year student who was willing to work hard and improve more. Now he has become a role model in the business program, acknowledged by his peers, mentees, and faculty. And he will, as always, finds ways to learn more, become better and reach further.”
Dr. Seung Hee Choi
Chair and Professor of Finance